We all know that journalism is reporting, producing and distributing the daily news. Mass communication is the communication with masses, mass communication is between two entities with a large audience set. Communication through tv, newspapers, magazines, etc. comes under this. Mass communication is a medium of dispersing information to a large/group of people. Journalism in a broad sense is all about news reporting and news broadcasting. Mass communication deals with different mediums of media to share or spread news or messages. Do journalism and mass communication go hand in hand?, Yes they both go hand in hand, without mass media there will not be a part of journalism and without journalism, there will not be a part of mass communication.
There are 10 types of Mass Communication:
- ADVERTISING: – Advertising is a mass communication that is used for marketing a product through mass media.
- JOURNALISM: – Journalism is the collection, interpretation and editing news and also broadcasting, there are three types of journalism: – a) Alternative journalism b) Public journalism c)Citizen journalism.
- PUBLIC RELATIONS: – It is the process of providing information to the public to present a specific view of a product.
- SOCIAL MEDIA: – Social media is used mostly in mobile devices and people can communicate through images, messages or emails, etc¦for example, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Social media is nowadays the backbone for so many people in the world.
- AUDIO MEDIA: – Audio media are of two types a) Recorded music b) Radio. Audio media is nothing but the messages that are conveyed through recorded audio for example news getting passed through radio.
- CONVERGENCE: – Convergence is a type where all the telecommunications come together as forms of mass communication in a digital media environment.
- FILM AND TELEVISION: – It began with the invention of kinetoscope by Thomas Edison. A film also called a movie or motion picture is a series of still images that are shown on screens. In the late 1970s, television began to change and gained a large number of audiences. TV was/is an essential source of entertainment for more than 90% of the world’s population. Not only for entertainment television was also an important source of current affairs/news.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: – Photography also plays a vital role in mass communication; it is a way of expressing/showing some incidents through photographs.
- INTERACTIVE MEDIA: – It is a form of communication technology that is related to services on computer-based systems.
- E-BOOKS: – E-Books have become one of the most important sources for students. Nowadays the education system is changing everything is changing into digital form. Therefore, students are studying in eBooks (i.e.) in digital form.
- There are 4 types of journalism: –
- INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM: – It is a form of investigating a piece of news deeply and deeply to get the perfect sources and answers.
- PRINT JOURNALISM: – Print journalism is nothing but the daily newspaper you get. This is a place where a reporter reports to the place of the event and covers all the nook and corner of the event then produces it to the editor.
- BROADCAST JOURNALISM: – Broadcast journalism is producing news through mass media. An example of the broadcast is INDIA TODAY.
- SPORTS JOURNALISM: – Sports journalism is a type of journalism where both print and broadcast media can take place. This journalism is full of sports.
There are 4 types of journalism:
INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM: – It is a form of investigating a piece of news deeply and deeply to get the perfect sources and answers.
PRINT JOURNALISM: – Print journalism is nothing but the daily newspaper you get. This is a place where a reporter reports to the place of the event and covers all the nook and corner of the event then produces it to the editor.
BROADCAST JOURNALISM: – Broadcast journalism is producing news through mass media. An example of the broadcast is INDIA TODAY.
SPORTS JOURNALISM: – Sports journalism is a type of journalism where both print and broadcast media can take place. This journalism is full of sports.
In the present generation both journalism and mass communication play a vital role in each and everyone’s life. But now social media are producing news minute by minute, I don’t know where this situation will lead to because those days people used to read news through newspapers, later everything got changed when mass media entered but now even people are regretting mass media because of social media.