Lady Brabourne College in Kolkata was established in 1939 by the Government of Kolkata and was named after the wife of Lord Brabourne, who was the Governor of Calcutta at that time. It is now ranked the 3rd best college in Kolkata and the 20th best college in India. All undergraduate courses are affiliated with the University of Kolkata, although they have been awarded autonomous status for Post Graduate M.Sc. courses in Mathematics, Botany, Physics, and Microbiology amongst others as well as M.A. in Bengali, English Literature and Political Science.
NAAC has also accredited them in 2014 with an A grade. It is considered to be a premier institute for women’s education in India. Most of the teachers are engaged in research work at the doctoral and postdoctoral levels furthering their education simultaneously.
- You can pursue a master’s and bachelor’s in several courses from this institute, including languages like Bengali, English, Urdu, Persian, and Sanskrit. You can pursue social sciences like history, sociology, and political science as well as pure sciences like Mathematics, Physics, and Botany. They also have courses on Women’s Studies, Computer Science, and Statistics.
- They have a well-stocked library, computer lab, canteens, and hostels. They also have a career counseling and placement cell. They have a Grievance cell, a Sexual Harassment cell, and a Psychological Counselling cell to look after the emotional well-being of students.
- They also have NSS, strict anti-ragging policies, Nightschool, Solar Energy and water harvesting plants, etc.
- There is no such entrance exam for admission into Lady Brabourne. For BSc and B.A. courses, one needs to have passed 10+2 in any stream. The application can be made by online/offline methods, and the selected students are called for counseling.
- For MSc and M.A. courses, students need to have above 50% marks in their Bachelor’s Degree in the same discipline from a recognized university/college. The application can be made through online and offline modes, and selected students are called for counseling.
- They have paid Public relations and advertising cell that the students run and maintain themselves. They get hardware like computers and the internet and a stipend each month to work in the cell. Students get to attend various workshops and are also pushed towards better physical health through facilities and an annual sports meet. They also participate in the Student Union and various other cultural activities like dance, drama, and music. The college has a yearly Magazine that publishes the student’s articles, write-ups, stories, and poems which pushes them to explore their creative side as well.
- Their Career Counselling and Job Placement Committee has organized numerous programs for career development and job placements since 2002. In the session 2006-07 major IT/BPO organizations like Infosys, TCS, IBM, Cognizant (CTS), Tech Mahendra, Accenture, and WIPRO conducted campus recruitment programs for final year undergraduate students. Infosys also initiated their Campus Ambassador program both in 2006 and 2007 from among interested students. 3G, Satyam, TCS, and IBM Daksh have also recruited some students.
- Fee for three years B.Sc. is 13,047 INR, and two years M.Sc. is 68,634 INR. For B.A. is 10,527 INR and M.A. is 31,274 INR. Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata