The Prafulla Chandra College was established as the City College by the Brahmo Samaj Education Society and then named after the world-renowned scientist and educationist Acharya Prafulla Chandra Roy. It has been affiliated to the Calcutta University since 1955 and has been accredited by NAAC in 2007. It was then transformed into a co-educational institute in 2012.
It is a government-aided evening college that offers 3 year Bachelor Courses in Science, Arts, and Commerce. They also offer an M.Com program. Their mission is to provide students with values that will enable them to become life-long learners and model citizens of the country. They aim to address the student’s needs in such a way that it helps them retain the values of the institution.
- City College offers B.Com in accounting and management along with a B.A. in English, Bengali, and geography with Electives in History, Economics, and Political Science. They offer a general B.Sc. in Geography, Political Science, Economics, and History. They also offer B.Com. General with electives in English, Bengali, History, and Economics.
- They have well lit airy classrooms with provisions for audio-visual teaching. The college has a vast library with a great collection of books, journals, and papers along with literature. They have a computer center just for students and a modern office with a pool table for the employees.
- They have separate sports grounds for boys and girls with the latest sports equipment for most sports along with a reading room and auditorium. They also have a subsidized canteen and bookstores where students can buy course books at a reduced rate.
- For Honors courses, a student should have passed Higher Secondary (12th grade) Examination from a recognized Secondary/Higher Secondary board school. For B.Com. Honors and B.A. or B.Sc. Honors in Geography, 50% marks in aggregate with 45% marks in the Honors Subject opted, or Related Subjects; or 55% in the Honors Subject opted or Related Subjects in Higher Secondary (12th grade) Examination. For B.A. Honors in Bengali and English, 60% in the respective subject is required in 12thgrade. But for all S.C. and S.T. category students, 40% for all Honors Courses (including Bengali and English Honors) in Aggregate, or the Honors Subject opted, or Related Subject in 12th grade is required from a recognized institution.
- The application is done online through its official website, and the admission fee is paid online or by bank challan. Once selected in the merit list, the student has to pay the tuition and hostel fee, print the documents and report to the college for document verification and enrolment.
- The college has a well-established set of cells working for the betterment of student life. They have a sports and cultural cell along with an Anti-ragging Cell, Sexual harassment cell, Grievance Redressal Cell, and a Research and Projects cell.
- The fees for the B.Com and B.A. courses range between 6K INR to 12K INR per year, depending on the discipline and number of electives. The college offers scholarships based on merit, and you can also get a bank loan, there is a financial support cell on campus too.