Great writers agree on the fact that there are no rules of thumb when it comes to writing fiction. As per Khaled Hosseini, it can be said that fiction is a simple tail that leads the readers to understand the truth of the world we live in a way that was previously blurred by the lies we believed.
When it comes to fiction writing, a writer is free to twist, bend, shred or smash down the truth to produce a story that can help the readers dive deep into the imaginative thoughts and bring out ones that can defy the truth of the world.
Fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at the greater truth. ~ Khaled Hosseini
Many would describe fiction writing as a head-banging and frustrating exercise which can leave a writer in utter despair. Although it can sometimes be that, it is more like swimming into the stream of consciousness and bringing out your deepest thoughts provoking the mind of the readers and making the story addicting for them.
For a beginner in writing fiction, you must understand that when it comes to writing a fictional novel, there are no right answers or magic formula to make it a great book. However, every great novel has a structure, and every great writer has his own way of describing the world.
Ready for the challenge? Let’s discuss eight ways to get you started with your novels.
Outlines limit your Imagination
- While writing a novel, you have many possible turns that you can make while writing a story. However, when you make an outline determining your work, you limit your imagination to a certain idea which can sometimes make you feel stuck. Note that setting an outline is a bad thing; it just doesn’t help you in flowing where your imagination might take you.
Consider Creating a setting for your Story
- The setting doesn’t only describe the place of the story; it also determines when a particular action is taking place. Think of some of the greatest names in fiction such as Dickens’s Great Expectations which is the representation of the times when industrialization was on the rise. Not just that, dickens describes London through the eyes of the young working-class orphan which foreshadows the upcoming events happening in the book.
Consider the Point of view of your Story
- Are you telling your story becoming the center of the action in the novel, a third-person narrator in the story sticking to a certain character or an omniscient narrator who can dive into the thoughts of the characters in the novel? Most writers tend to write in the first person because it deeply inhabits the protagonist’s voice in the novel. However, the third person narrations can give you more thought to put in your novels and build more story which can make your story more interesting for the readers.
The Conflict makes the Story Interesting
- Every novel consists of a conflict that drives the story forward. No matter the genre you choose for your story, your story must have a conflict. Take the example of the novel The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins in which the protagonist is accused of a crime of abducting and killing a missing girl. Being an alcohol addict she was unable to remember, the most important events of the mystery case, she is the major suspect of the police investigation and had crossed a dangerous line. No matter where you start, your story must line exciting events which become the major source of driving the story forward.
Write what you don’t Know
- This is more close to not making an outline for your novel. In the spirit of discovering new aspects of the story, you leverage the characters to delve into something that is out of the story. Think the story Compeyson in Dickens’s Great Expectations who is a side character in the story but makes the story of the other characters in the novel relevant for the readers. This doesn’t only make the story relevant, but it also drives the story forward.
Set your Deadlines:
- Not for completing the novel, but for about the first fifty pages of the book. Once you get started with your fictional novel, it is easier to follow the plot of the novel leading to the resolution. Set a word limit per day and make sure you meet your benchmark each day to finish your book.
Hire an editor or proofreader
- Make sure you have all that you need to help you become a better writer. Consulting and cooperating with the best ghostwriters for hire can help you to understand and get better at writing altogether. Ghostwriters are experts in writing who can help you to proofread and eliminate the possible mistakes in your novel making it the bestselling book of all time.
Being a writer requires a great deal of effort and time to produce a story that can make its way into the bestselling novels of the time. Make sure you follow these seven easy steps to become a good fiction novelist.