The optometry is defined as the health concern professional that involves groping of eyes and appropriate visual systems for deficiency as well as medical diagnosis and management of eyes. The term optometry comes from the Greek word optic means to view and metron means something used to measure. Optometry is the career filed filled with opportunities, it provides suppleness, variety, satisfaction, and one of the highest-paying jobs. It involves examining, diagnosing, treating, and managing visual diseases and disorders and corrects the refractive optical faults of the visual system by recommending spectacles, contact lenses, low vision aids, and vision physiotherapy, eye exercises to patients complaining of vision connected problems. Optometer is the instrument used to measure vision.
To pursue a diploma course or B.Sc. course in optometry, one needs a science background in 12th class and for post-graduation in optometry, the candidate requires a degree from any subject. For M.Phil programs, one requires a finished master’s degree in optometry. Optometrists also were known as doctors of optometry can work in hospitals, clinics, and laboratories as the dispensing optician and ophthalmologist.
Optometry Institutes in India:
- All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS)
- Lotus College of Optometry
- Elite School of Optometry (ESO)
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University School of Optometry
- Sri Prakash Institute of Optometry
- Vidyasagar College of Optometry and Vision Science
- Aditya Jyot Institute of Optometry
- Bausch and Lomb School of Optometry
- College of Optometry and Ophthalmic Sciences
- Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences