The Vardhaman Mahaveer Open University was established as the Kota University in 1987 as a pioneering institute in Open Learning. Their objective was to provide higher education to an extensive section of society, not just young students, but also the downtrodden sections of society, women, and people in service. They provide distance learning too as a way for people to get higher education in conjunction with the other responsibilities that they may have in life. Their vision is to provide flexible and cost-effective training to everyone in the state of Rajasthan. It is the third oldest Open University in India. They have regional centers all over Rajasthan, in Bikaner, Ajmer, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Udaipur, and Bharatpur. They also have study centers in various cities. These study centers hold the following facilities for scholars such as Audio/Video facilities, Coordinators, and other trained supervisors, the Organization of regional service units.
- They offer hundreds of distance learning courses, including B.A. in Urdu, History, Journalism, Sanskrit, etc. They also provide B.Sc. in Physics, Botany, Mathematics, and many more along with B.S., B.Com, and B.S.W. You can also get a B.B.A., B.Ed., Bachelor of Computer Applications, Bachelor of Journalism, Bachelor of Library Sciences and M.A. in Economics, History, Geography Hindi, and more. They offer Post Graduate and Under Graduate Diplomas as well as Certificates in English, Human Rights, Naturopathy, Panchayati Raj, Gandhian Principles, Prakrit Language, and so many more. You can find a certification or degree in any discipline that you are interested in through distance learning from this Institute.
- VMOU is a campus geared towards providing facilities to students who want to pursue higher education, but their financial situation hinders them from doing so. They have two sports grounds, A.C., A.T.M., and Academic Zone, Wi-Fi, Library, Canteen, Computer labs, and all other amenities of a modern college. They provide study material to the student’s doorstep and have flexible class timings to suit the student’s needs. They have a guesthouse, Medical centers, and International centers on their campus too. They also have scholarships for students.
- VMOU Kota offers admission twice a year, in July and January. The basic eligibility criteria for admission to U.G. courses are that candidates should pass 10+2 from a recognized board of education. For admission to P.G. programs, the candidate should complete a graduate degree from a recognized university. Candidates applying for the B.Ed., M.B.A., and Ph.D. courses are required to appear for an entrance test conducted by the university. Admission to the other courses including B.Com, B.B.A., B.Li.Sc, M.C.A., and M.Sc. are based on merit in the qualifying examination.
- VMOUs main objective is to provide distance learning at a reasonable cost for people of low-income families and people with other responsibilities. They have study centers all over Rajasthan along with regional centers that provide study material and guidance through faculty that stay there. They provide study material to students and deliver them at their home along with having a fully functional modern campus in Kota. To help financially struggling students, they also have several scholarships, including a State Scholarship.
- They also have a fully functioning Placement and Training Cell that bridges the gap between students and companies, by training them in interview and soft-skills. They also arrange campus drives in conjunction with companies to help students apply to companies and interact with industries.
- The entire course fees (the total of all years) lies between 7000 INR to 30,000 INR depending upon the course and discipline. For example, the total fees of the two-year M.B.A. program are 29,000 INR, a three-year B.Sc. is 33000 INR, and a one-year U.G. Diploma is 5000 INR.